CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Home is Where the Heart is!

     We use the Scholastic literacy program at our school.  Our theme for the month is Home.  It works out really well because we incorporate it with All About Me and Our Family.  Some of these are suggested activities from the curriculum, some I have added, and some have been tweaked.  I posted many of the centers from the Scholastic curriculum already in an earlier post. (I probably should have labeled the earlier post, but I didn't think about it until now!)  I'm also including some of the other activities that we've been doing this week!
We finished up our creation book the first part of this week.  They glued tissue squares on to wax paper to look like a church stained glass window.
The last page, God rested.
I like to do the cover page last, so that it is fresh.  For the cover page, we used Bio Color Paints from Discount School Supply.  These are so cool!  The paints do not mix and gives your picture a layered textured look.  There are many different things you can do with these paints!  Try it, you'll like it!!!

It also dries faster than regular paint!  WooHoo!!!
Love how cool these turned out!
 
Number two page.

We read The Shape of Things in Writing Workshop and discussed how we can use shapes to help us draw.  We also discussed about the top, bottom, and middle of a page.
After reading and discussing, we drew pictures of our houses in our journals.  This was a journal activity from Scholastic.


This was one of our books from the Scholastic curriculum that we read.  As a group, we labeled the rooms of a house.  I was going to have them do this individually, but we ran out of time!  I also forgot to take a picture of our labeled house, and I already threw it out! :(
This was another activity taken from Kim Adsit's  Family Fun Pack.  I really liked this because it went over color words and I was able to introduce ordinal numbers and positional words.

This was one of our song/poems that is our Home theme.  The kids LOVE singing this!  Everyday they ask me when they come in, "Are we singing Ten in Bed?"!
I'm not really sure where I got this...maybe Lakeshore?  This is so cute!  We used this while we sang the song.  I will have it out next week with the book, so they can retell the story.
I found this at Making Learning Fun.  I wanted to do an activity that went along with the song and this was perfect!  They colored the envelope, cut out the little people, and now they are able to reenact the song.

I forgot to take a picture of the book, but we read the book The House That Jack Built.  During centers they made house mosaics.  This was the house they built!
I glued little houses in the middle and then sectioned off the surrounding construction paper.  They glued material on the house and various items (corn, rice, beans, seeds,etc.) on the divided sections.  Before gluing, they sorted all the items.
These turned out so good! The picture doesn't really do it justice.  It was a mess, but they LOVED this activity!
I love reading Mouse Paint!  We read the book and then experimented with color mixing.
We drew circles on the paper and then they mixed the colors.  They really did a great job!
The final color mixing product.
Pattern block numbers.  You can print these off here.
Math number stamp station.


Thanks for bearing with me!  I know this was a really long post!  Apple Day is tomorrow!  I can't wait!  I have had a few people ask to see the complete Creation book.  I will try to get that posted tomorrow or at least sometime this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment