CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Teacher Talk Tuesday

  Today is offering advice to new teachers.  Here are some things that have worked for me and made my classroom a better experience.  Hopefully, it will do the same for you!

1.  Be sure to greet each child with a smile and "Good Morning"!  It makes your day and their day a little brighter!  It also shows them that you are happy that they are there and they matter to you.
2.  Be prepared!  Be over prepared!  There is nothing worse than dead time!  I usually have extra activities or an extra book that is goes along with our theme in case it is needed.  Also, be sure to have all the supplies you need and copies made.  You never know when the copier may be out of order, the laminator may be out of laminate, or the school is out of the supply (construction paper, glue, popsicle sticks, etc.)  you need for a project.  Being prepared also helps cut down on behavior problems!
3.  This may seem silly, but be sure to have read the book that you are about to read to the class.  You may think it is a cute little book for your class, only to find out it is totally inappropriate for your class!
4.  Be flexible!  Things happen, projects take longer than expected, work takes longer to complete, your specials get cancelled,  so be willing to adjust accordingly.
5.  Be sure to keep your parents informed!  An informed parent is a happy parent!  I do a monthly calendar, a weekly newsletter, and a homework sheet.
6. Have Fun!  Laugh!  Play!
7.  Love your job and the love the children you teach!  If you love what you are doing, it will show!  There is nothing worse that working with or having a teacher that really doesn't want to be there.  Remember each child is special and unique and are deeply loved by God.  Sometimes it is hard, but love them anyway! :)

     I hope you all have a wonderful school year, and as my mentor teacher told me: "If you can get through the first year, you can get through anything!"

2 comments:

  1. I'm so with you on being prepared. I felt like that happened to me all the time my first year. I would have everything in my plan book completed and there would still be 20 minutes to fill until lunch. Horrible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely right about getting through the first year. If you can do that, you can do almost anything afterwards. Love your advice.

    ReplyDelete