CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Pirate Sink or Float

     I've been very busy getting lesson plans together for the first few weeks of school.  Today I worked on our Science activity for the first week of school.  Our Science experiment is learning about sink or float.  I read the book Who Sank the Boat? and then we conduct our own experiments to see what items will sink or float.  I usually do crayons and other school tools, but since we have a Pirate themed classroom I thought I would incorporate that.  I haven't made these yet, but I am going to cut Styrofoam into pirate ships for them to predict whether or not they will sink or float.  After they predict, they will test to see whether or not they actually will sink or float.  Then we will use my foam blocks that I bought at the Target Dollar Spot to use as treasure chest to see if their ship will sink or float after putting treasure chest on them.  Then I will have them predict how many chest they can put on their ship to make it sink.  They will then test that theory.  After we have completed this portion of the experiment, I will put this in the Science center for them to conduct further experiments.  I have gold coins, a small telescope, and a small pirate figure that they can experiment with.  I created a form for them to fill out, but I cannot get it to upload on to the blog! GRRRRR!  If I ever figure it out, I'll put it up! I'm working on a counting book, a color book, and a shape book that I plan to have up in the next couple of days. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment