CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Learning the Rules

    Whew!  What a busy week!  Even though it was a short week, I'm ready for the weekend!  This week we worked on learning the rules and routines.  We also learned the consequences for breaking the rules and our traffic light system.  We began learning how to use our school tools and how to treat books properly.  I'm going to try to break it down a little every day over the next few days to see what we've been doing this week!
     I read on Julie Lee's blog about how she used Mr. Potato Head to introduce working together in groups and as a community.  I thought that was a great idea and decided to make use Mr. Potato Head to teach the rules and then make a rule book to go along with it.  I'm going to try to attach it, but I'm having problems uploading everything!
To introduce the rules, I had Mr. Potato Head without any of the pieces.  We discussed how sad Mr. Potato Head was without anything and how he really couldn't do anything because he didn't have any parts!  Then we discussed what could make him better and what he needed to make him be the best potato that he could be!

I introduced each piece individually, and then we completed a page in our book to help us remember each rule.  We will continue to go over the rules everyday for the next couple of weeks.

I am definitely not an artist!  Fortunately I found Mr. Potato Head printables at play to learn printables!  Here is the teacher version that I printed and put on the poster board.  I cannot get the student version to load, and I just don't have the energy tonight, so I will try tomorrow!  Here are some students working on the individual pages.

After we finished each individual piece, we made a cover including all the pieces.
We also played with Mr. Potato Head in groups to help reinforce what we had learned.

I don't know why this is sideways!  This is the cover of our rule book.  This took us several days to complete, but they did a great job and hopefully will know the rules!


Another sideways pictures!  Finally remember to take a picture of the door!  Loved how this turned out!


Now, I am off to relax a little bit with House Hunters and then off to bed!  

No comments:

Post a Comment